Thursday, February 5, 2009

Homemade Dog Treats

Dog treats can cost a pretty penny if you don't stock up great deals with the opportunity comes along. I was looking at dog treats yesterday in Target to see what the price of Pupperoni treats would be after my coupons I found on coupons.com. They would still run about 1.64 for a 6 oz bag. That's a little higher than I would like to spend on a bag of treats that will last maybe a week. Every feel the disappointment when you open a bag that looks large to find it's mostly just air(and this is not just limited to dog treats, chips, other snack items included). Another option is to make your own dog treats.

My sister gave me this really cute dog treat kit for Christmas. It included a book of dog recipes and a pack of cookie cutters in dog friendly shapes, think fire hydrants, bones etc. Here is a recipe my sister shared with my several months ago. She was even kind enough to send a bag of them. My dog loved them!

Here is what you will need
1 tsp beef bouillon
1 egg
1 jar bacon bits
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup hot water
1/2 instant non fat dry milk
2 1/4 cup of whole wheat flour

Combine ingredients. Cut into dog friendly shapes, depending on the size of your dog will be on how you decide to cut them. When my sister made them she used medium size shapes like stars and moons. Bake in the oven at 375 for 10 minutes or until done.

No comments:

Post a Comment